Old 01-12-14, 04:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by apollored
Having bought this bike at auction and finding it just that bit too tall, I was wondering if I bought it a smaller and lighter fork could that drop the standover height of it as if you see in the picture the current fork leaves loads of space to play with.
Forgetting all the arguments over whether it's a good idea or not, the simple answer is that it won't change anything.

You can confirm this for yourself by making a stack of books (or whatever) up to a few inches short of your current front axle's height, then putting the fork on it (so simulate the effect of a shorter fork) then either measuring or standing over it.

Since there's no reasonable way to lower the standover height, it's up to you to decide whether to live with it, or consider trading the bike for something smaller (or riding in platform shoes).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.