Old 01-12-14, 10:53 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
Lifting 3x/week has made for some nice gains, as it does for every novice. As I'm ramping up intensity on the bike, though, it feels like the overall fatigue is starting to take its toll. I'm really enjoying it, and don't want to cut back, but 2x/week might be the best compromise if I want to get two quality bike workouts in each weekend.
I would say that for anyone who is not a pure sprinter- 2 days of lifting is plenty for most of the season. A block of lifting 3 days a week is great for maximizing strength gains during a period when bike work is not so intense (like during "base") and is likely the best way to get yourself strong before dropping gym days and going into slower gains or strength maintenance.. how long that block lasts could vary- maybe 4-6 weeks or 4-6 months…

as for the pure sprinters- IMHO if you are not at the level of say Sub-12" 200m or Sub 1:12 Kilo, your time is probably better spent developing on bike strength than it is on a 3rd gym day.. also- there are plenty of sprinters these days who don't lift at all.. I'm not saying its a requirement..

when cyclist begin a strength program- there is an adaption phase where they have to get used to the stress of the weight work and how it effects them on the bike. this can seam brutal at first- but if you push through you do adapt to the stress.. in my opinion- once you have gotten through that initial adaption, you should drop the 3rd gym day as soon as the fatigue starts to affect the quality of your bike workouts..