View Single Post
Old 01-13-14, 11:58 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by turky lurkey
How did you deal with that rust (your bike looks really nice)? I am the owner of the black Miyata 310 above, the spokes were very rusty. I sanded them all with 220 grit sand paper (without disassembling the wheel), which got rid of most of the corrosion but also of course removed what was left of the chrome. Then I sprayed the spokes with a few coats of Rustoleum clear enamel in hopes that it would significantly slow the return/spread of the rust. I really don't know how well it will work in the long run so I am interested in other ideas for future projects.
Thanks. This one only had a moderate amount of rust (I've dealt with far worse). For the most part, I used oxalic acid for the rust. I usually keep a small bucket of OA solution at hand for various small non-alloy bits. The frame got a very brief oxalic acid bath, too. There wasn't much rust on the frame, just some speckling here & there where the paint was beginning to crack & dimple. Most of the alloy parts where wet-sanded and then polished with Mother's Alum & Mag polish. I didn't bother trying to spruce up the old, galvanized spokes. I rebuilt the wheels with a different set of rims and used new stainless double-butted DT Swiss spokes. There's another recent thread with more tips & tricks you might check out if didn't already see it: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-new-condition