Old 01-13-14, 01:09 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
My apologies to DD for sort of derailing his thread. I felt bad about saying that here comes the old "high end" speech versus the "low-end, POS, craptastic, gas-pipe" and other unnecessary terms when describing "ordinary", no make that "safety" bicycles. I will endeavor not to be rude and impolite again.

Even the old "good, better, best" marketing scheme is more palatable than, "garbage, barely acceptable, finest".

But I did say it, because BF is a part of my day that I very much enjoy and lately I have sensed a lot less enthusiasum and more bashing of the "bikes we grew up with" and their monetary value. Even to the point of sometimes being rude and snarky. Like DD himself said to me, "life's too short"

This forum needs everyone's opinion and their mutual respect and I hope DD can see my position as well.

Every post should have a picture or two.

Not every paint crack will mean permanent damage.

This Raleigh Record Mixte was likely crashed at some point and the paint cracked on the downtube. Otherwise the frame is undamaged and straight. Because it is Hi Ten 2030 (carbon steel) and tough as nails, its just fine under the paint and there is no other distortion. Back in the day, this bike was sold in a well respected Toronto bike shop. Don't know if it still exists.

This 1976 Mixte is being built as a 5 speed upright "townie" with rack and fenders and will hopefully find a home with one of the nice young ladies in our family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1547.jpg (90.7 KB, 63 views)
DSCF1548.jpg (93.8 KB, 64 views)
DSCF1549.jpg (90.8 KB, 442 views)