View Single Post
Old 01-13-14, 02:20 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by Singlespd
My wheels are too wide for a 23 or 25. I used to have 25's but they look funny and the sidewalls look spread out

You might want to consider that with a wider rim, say in the 22-25mm range, that your tire's air volume is increased, thus the tire needs less air pressure to resist any kind of pinch damage.

Also, with the more-vertical sidewall disposition that wider rims afford, the sidewall doesn't arc away from the edge of the rim as much, so the tread doesn't fall toward the rim as much from loading. Again, this further reduces air pressure requirement.

And further, the more-vertical sidewalls make the tire laterally stiffer, such that a more-direct feel is effected during transient cornering adjustments.

But pressure requirement is firstly proportional to the weight load. For reference, I and my bike are averaging about 185lbs lately, and with 28mm tires (actual width more like 26mm on 22mm-wide rims) I find a pressure in the very low 80's to get the job done with minimal pinching likelihood, a smooth ride, good grip on hidden gravel and longer tread life.

And as for the "gumwall" or tan-side tires, there are very few choices these days. Vittoria makes a primo racing version, but only in 23mm.
Panaracer Pasela seems to be the go-to tire for most vintage enthusiasts who don't mind (or who prefer) it's hybrid-style tread cap.
I'm currently running out my supply of tan-wall "28mm" Avocet wired clinchers, and will probably fall back on my stash of brown Continentals when these are gone.
Then again, there will likely always be a market for (and thus a supply of) the Grand Bois and similar higher-end tan-side offerings, which surely are rated for max pressure.