Old 01-15-14, 05:39 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Bigger flaw in my opinion is Specialized's inability to understand numbers. If you used a 143mm original Romin, Specialized recommends a 155mm Romin EVO. What is the point of knowing you take a 143 if every model labelled 143 isn't actually a 143? As soon as I discovered that, I grabbed a spare original series, and won't look at them again.
Roll, we will have to disagree here. Width sizing has its place as a singular metric as flawed as it is. Singular indices or metrics never fully define something as complex as agreement between two topographical surfaces...both of which subject to rotation aka a human pelvis while riding and a fixed bike saddle that can be adjusted. Also pretty impossible to combine a quantifiable entity like saddle width with a quality like saddle shape or form comprised of a myriad of dimensions, angles and radii. That is the reason for example many pros who ride a 143 Toupe may prefer a 155 Romin...a Romin rides more narrow because in front view is more convex than the flatter side to side Toupe. So words and experience have to be used in conjunction with a single side to side measurement which quite right doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story about sizing. Also sorry to say this but my opinion is your position on choosing the original series because of any sizing convention is ridiculous. Most prefer the Evo to the original including me. Just get the size you need. A number is just a number and has to be used in context with other saddle attributes most notably shape. To me Specialized makes the best saddles but I haven't ridden all of them.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-15-14 at 07:04 AM.