Old 01-15-14, 08:35 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by George
So I got fit by one fitter using the ass meter and he put me on a 130 Romin EVO.I could feel it pushing my sit bones apart. So I went back and got a 143 Romin Evo. Much better, but it just didn't feel right. Then I tried the 143 Toupe, which felt the best. My butt is telling me I like flat. Then I tried the SLR Max Flow. I said to myself this is finally it. I kept reading about saddles and I came across A San Marcos Regal'e, that sounded like something to try. So I seen one on sale at Performance and bought it. Man did this saddle work great for me. The saddle is a 148 mm wide and it feels great. So much for the ass meter, lol.

After 2500 miles on the saddle, I don't know what happened on yesterdays ride, but I could feel I was getting warm on my left sit bone and I blame it on my new shoes. I lowered the saddle by 3 mm for the sole difference and moved the left cleat forward as I had on my Specialized Comp shoes. When I got home I looked and I didn't have a mark on me. So I don't know what's going on . Maybe it was just my pedaling or just not use to the shoes yet. I bought the Giro Factor shoes and I find them to much more comfortable than the Specialized. I contribute that to a better fit for me. I didn't put the one vargus wedge in I had in the right shoe, but I didn't have any pain either, so I feel alright.

I cant ride today, but I'll have to watch to see what I'm doing different, to see what's causing the sit bone to heat up. You would think if it was heating up, I would be red or had some kind of chaffing or something.

Anyhow the saddle feels great and I'll have to make some adjustments, because of the new shoe's. The all carbon shoes feel great.
In bold...common lament and debunks the validity of an Ass-O-meter as any basis for correct saddle width. Lets say saddle width is only 60% of the equation anyway and the rest is shape and firmness.

A tip if you are getting asymmetric pain or loading side to side on your sit bones. Rotate your saddle one side or anther to change the load distribution. You can play with tilt as well. Posture and pelvis rotation really affect saddle pressure points. As John Cobb talks about a lot, rotating your pelvis properly forward takes pressure off of tender sit bones.