View Single Post
Old 01-15-14, 02:13 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Please tell us more about the road in question. Is there a continuous turn lane that runs down the middle of the road? And then 2 straight-forward lanes? What is on the right, a wide shoulder, and then a right turn lane at the light? Is there a sidewalk to the right of the shoulder?

Or is it 2 lanes and then the sidewalk, which offsets right to allow a right turn lane to form at the lights?

If you could link us to a street view of the road it would help.

My thoughts are, if it's a busy road that gets backed up, and there's a wide shoulder (like an entire car lane width), then ride that. I would. Just be careful of debris that might cause a flat. If the shoulder then becomes the right turn lane, you need to WATCH FOR CARS that want to turn right while you're going straight. Try to signal and get out into the right lane BEFORE the right turn lane. Use a helmet mirror if you can, they are a HUGE help. Then I would sit either on the line between the straight and right turn lanes, or at the far left corner of the right turn lane, if you're going straight across to the shoulder on the other side.

I personally would not want to be on a bike sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I would find a way around it in some way.

I would NOT filter up between the 2 lanes of cars going straight. No way. That puts you right up there between the cars going straight, after which you'll have to find your way back across the right lane when you start going, and it will drive motorists crazy. At least if you're at the front left corner of that right turn lane going straight to the other side, you're not blocking anyone that way, or making cars pass you again that have already passed you previously (this is very discourteous IMHO).

As to the UK videos, I subscribe to several London and UK commuters on YT. It's definitely different there than in the US, and not just because of them driving on the left side of the road. In the UK, they have what is called ASL, Advanced Stop Lines, aka Bike Boxes. Many bikes will filter up and then sit in that box until the light turns green. And yes cars that have passed them will have to pass them again, but oh well, that's what is provided over there. Not many communities in the US have adopted bike boxes yet. Also I think that turning left on red in the UK (right on red in the US) is illegal, so there is not as much risk of the hook crash at least when the light is red.