View Single Post
Old 01-15-14, 02:31 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What makes you think you know that other cyclists prefer no bike lanes rather than bike lanes that are in the so-called door zone, which is often the only practical alternative to no bike lanes? What makes you think that all other cyclists are ignoramuses that cannot/will not use caution when riding in such lanes if parked cars are present?
I only express my opinion for what my desires are. VC's should be more than capable of standing up for themselves and shouldn't need me to do it for them. Fortunately, the number of VC's is declining quickly, including many former VC's, myself included, who've realized the inherent dangers of playing tag with 4000 cars, but even more, that the vast majority of people will never want to mix with cars and will never ride on roadways outside of quiet neighborhood streets.

As to practical alternatives to the door zone, the easiest is usually to simply swap the door zone bike lane and parking; put car parking next to motor vehicle travel lane and put the bike lane between the parked cars and sidewalk (where parking had been). Ideally though, there should be a 3' buffer between the parked cars and bike lane (now cycletrack) which may require narrowing the motor vehicle travel lane widths.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 01-15-14 at 02:34 PM.