Old 01-15-14, 04:26 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Campy, I read the same article, and agree with the premise that inferior ramus spacing is the more useful measurement -- once getting into a pelvis rotation similar to that on the bike.

I was able to measure by placing a dry paper towel over a damp paper towel on a low surface (toilet lid), crouching similar to riding position while hovering over it, and then briefly touching down.

It leaves two damp divets you can measure. If you repeat the measurement more upright, the space between divets increases as you have rotated the pelvis back,which widens the boney contact points.

My wide ass fits the narrow fizik well due to the rotation.
Good comments thanks. What this thread reveals is as stated in the thread subject, the Ass-O-meter just isn't very useful. Many if not most don't find a correlation to what that gauge measures and preference for a give saddle width. This is for a variety of reasons. I believe the Ass-O-meter is a semi desperate attempt to add some science to something that is hard to quantity...saddle comfort. I do credit Specialized however with their significant contribution to saddle design by their width sizing. Width is perhaps thee most important single parameter when it comes to saddle selection but there are many contributing factors to what makes for a good saddle on a 4 hour ride. I thought Hogg's article is excellent and why I shared it.