Old 01-15-14, 07:45 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Lycosa
A few of you have asked this and my plan is 100 miles in 1 day. I'm prepared for darkness, have everything I need for touring and own a touring bike (Novara Safari).

3 years ago I did the same trip on a beach cruiser with my wife. It was... a nightmare. We did it over 2 days with 60 miles on the first day. I didn't train for it; it was a "why not?" trip. I fared better than my wife during the trip, but I was a' hurtin' by the time I got to my destination. I'm trying to be smarter about it this time. I'd rather heed advice than suffer terribly. I don't mind pushing through when tired, but I want to make sure I'm physically up to the challenge.

I started running 20 miles a day to meet my son at his work. He bike commutes and I ride up there when he's ready to ride home. He commutes 10 miles one way and I ride there and back with just a small break in between. Some days, I'll ride 4 miles to a nearby park with my wife and then put in the 20 miles later in the day so 24 miles/day isn't a problem at all.

The other thing to mention is my pace... I average about 10 mph according to my computer. I'm no speed demon, but I'm not training to be. My son will be going with me, I'm 40 and he's 20, so I'll have company. We figured we'd get up and start riding at 5am to give plenty of time for breaks as needed.

Also, as asked, this will be a single century. We'll ride down to our location then get picked up and driven home after staying the night at a relatives.
I don't want to discourage you, but the more information I get the more pessimistic I become about your chances. I encourage you to try, but please have a well thought out bail out plan.....someone you can phone who will pick you up if you totally bonk. Also make sure you have a couple of days after the ride to recover. If you do it I can guarantee things will ache for a few days and you will need time to recover.