Old 01-16-14, 04:34 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I bought a new Sony NEX-3N three months back for $340 to my doorstep. I really didn't want to spend much for a camera, and I originally expected to be able to afford only a decent P&S until I discovered the NEX-3N.

It's very small and lightweight for a DSLR, inexpensive (for a entry level DSLR), the kit lens is 24mm-75 (35mm APS equiv), which gives me a wide angle for landscapes, and for another $19 I got an adapter from Amazon which lets me use my old Minolta Maxxum lenses (in full manual mode only).

I compared it for a couple days hands-on to entry level Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and the NEX-3N actually focused a bit faster (I was worried a bit about mirrorless design focusing).

It's main shortcoming (like all small DSLRs) is a lack of space for placement of dedicated buttons, meaning you have to learn a less intuitive LCD menu system to access controls, which makes for a steep learning curve, plus you tend to forget the sequence. It's hard to make hundreds of control changes with only a few buttons.

Keep the manual handy!

I'm still happy with my choice. I'd like a wider lens, but since they cost more than the Sony kit it may never happen.