View Single Post
Old 01-16-14, 07:44 PM
jralbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droy45
^I find this is a really good way to look at. It makes a lot of sense. I share the lane all the time and filter up to the front in straight ahead lanes only if possible. Even if I stop at a light and get in line behind other cars they all pass me when the light turns green and were back to sharing the lane anyway.
Again, much depends on the law in your area. Where I live, lane-splitting is illegal for all vehicles on the roadway: motorcycles are not permitted to ride two (or more) abreast, and passing any other vehicle regardless of its width requires a signal and lane-change manoeuvre. Realistically, of course, there's a lot of flex in how those rules are applied and obeyed - nobody signals to pass me when I'm riding in the curb-side third of the lane - but I try as much as possible to follow the intent of the rules scrupulously in order that other drivers will (hopefully) see my show of good faith and return it in kind. For me, that means no filtering up past traffic that's stopped in the lane: there's no legal way for me to do so, so I don't.