Old 01-17-14, 07:28 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
My farm manager has been running the property for over a decade. He knows it like the back of his hand. Likely every branch on every tree, and every rock on the ground. He can spot a two-inch red and white fishing float under seaweed on the property foreshore from 50' away.

There are all sorts of clues as to what people are up to. A gravel road is very revealing, for example -- tyre tracks that veer off and never reappear, and footprints. Then there is trampled grass, the unclosed (or closed) gate. Startled stock. A rising flock of birds. A glint in the sunshine from a place where there isn't anything reflective.

And there is the bush telegraph -- you think you are alone out there in the forest, but maybe not. A quick phone call to say two characters on bikes have just gone down a track they shouldn't have will set off a search to see what it happening.

It's always better to check. Farming families generally are a pretty friendly and helpful lot and are quite willing to accommodate if the right approaches are made.
Like others have pointed out it's frequently not clear at all who's land I'm on. You might think my presence is known, but it if is then it is apparently known by people that don't object. I'm careful to be stealthy but if I'm found out then so be it. I'm not doing anything illegal.