Old 01-19-14, 05:20 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
I worked really really hard for several years to build a couple bikes that I lusted for. It started with an interest in road riding and after picking up a few cheep vintage road bikes I just wanted super record and then I just wanted nuovo record. I went through a couple frames and have a modern group on a lugged bike as well, as my riding developed and I became more focused on it I needed equipment to run with my buddies (who are better riders). I eventually settled on modern steel with a carbon fork. I have one road racing style bike and it is modern. However, I spent years restoring a nuovo record bike and collecting super record parts. So I have one super record bike and one nuovo record bike, I also have one track bike. I haven't ridden any of them in years. I can't let go. I owned and road and build many other nice bikes over that time and I have always had a fixed gear which sees most of my riding (until I moved recently), now the fixed gear is a distance roadie with fenders for wet days. I will not add another bike. I bought a nice vintage nishiki touring bike in my size last summer and as beautiful as it is, I'll never ride it. It will be sold at the spring swap meet. I have a strict rule that in order to acquire another keeper I must move along the bike that it replaces. That means that if a 1970s Masi with super record falls into my lap, the gazelle must go or it must be shifted to another duty (like fixed gear or long distance road bike and then that one most go). This keeps me down to around 10 bikes, but with my recent interest in vintage MTB my number have increased.
This is what I aspire too, however I too have been bitten buy the vinatge MTB bug. Previously it was the Track bug, prior to that the Merckx bug, before that the Italian steel bug and before the modern mtb bug), almost full circle. I seem to be failing at downsizing.