Old 01-19-14, 11:01 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Contamination in loose balls is dealt with stripping, cleaning and re-lubing. In cartridge bearings, usually dealt with by replacement. Difficult to remove without damaging them anyway; the outer race isn't usually accessible from inside.
Although I do feel in the cup and cone camp, I do remember going from cup and cone ball bearing bb's to "sealed" units and finding the newer ones pretty much maintenance free. I've had really really long life out of square taper type "sealed" ones and so I can appreciate the comments by the one fellow who mentions his various cartridge hubs with umpteen 1000 miles on them and still running like new. I guess it really comes down to quality, but for me thinking more of the touring side of things, I still like the idea of not worrying about the availability of specific cartridge bearings. I know its pretty unlikely at this point in my life that I will go off on a multi month long bike trip to Ubekistan or something, so I guess my concern is kinda moot....I just think I will always spend more for better quality hubs, with most likely better rubber seals and whatnot of design to keep contaminants out in the first place.