View Single Post
Old 01-20-14, 07:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
"86 Cannondale" That says friction shifting to me. It means you don't have to worry about fancy chainrings or which rear derailleur will work.

If it was my bike, and I was looking for a serious hill climb gear, I'd go for the "Mega range" freewheel and a different rear derailleur. Since you want to keep it (sort of) original, I'd look for a Suntour Cyclone long arm rear derailleur if I could find one or even a classic VGT. Otherwise a basic Shimano mountain bike derailleur will function just fine. Messing around with a 28 biggest cog vs. a 24 biggest cog is only a baby step. It might give you the range that you're looking for but I doubt it.

Being an un-racer, I've developed my own philosophy about gearing. When I'm on a basically flat surface I like to have lots of gears spaced closely together so that I can make minute adjustments for wind conditions or small inclines. Once I get into the hills I want big gaps so that I can feel the difference when I shift. I don't want to have to shift too often either because every shift causes me to lose momentum. There must be a reason why the mega range freewheels and cassettes have been as popular as they are for such a long time. It might be because there are lots of folks like me.