View Single Post
Old 01-20-14, 10:09 AM
Duane Behrens

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jj1091
Good news on the rebuild being ready to start, Duane. I can only say that the best advice you can adhere to is to have patience. There'll be plenty to deal with, just take each one component as a whole project. Finish that project, then move on. Things will happen, like you get the rear wheel on, and the freewheel scrapes the dropout, so you have to move washers and nuts from one side to the other to equalize where the wheel centers. Then, maybe the brake caliper won't center and rubs the rim all the time because you moved too many washers and nuts from one side to the other and the wheel is too far off center. Stuff like that. Just be patient, especially when adjusting the front and rear derailleurs, sometimes it takes a while on a new build. So, be patient. Did I mention the part about being patient?

Good luck, let us know how it's going.
You're absolutely correct. I'm going waaaay slow, and why not? Nobody's paying me to finish this project as fast as I can in order to earn my salary.

Working on the BOTTOM BRACKET. On Sheldon Brown's advice, I'm going to replace the 9 caged bearings on each side with 11 loose bearings. A bit more of a fiddle installing them, but worthwhile in smoother operation, apparently. Some sites recommend installing the fixed (right) cup with a special tool, but I seem to have tightened it well, applying torque carefully with the large adjustable wrench. I'll have to get the proper spanner to set the lock ring on the left side; I hope the LBS will have one they can sell me, as well as the plastic inner sleeve, which I don't remember seeing on disassembly. I now wish I would have taken more detailed photos during the disassembly process.