Old 01-20-14, 12:17 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm actually quite familiar with this route. I've been commuting for about 4 months, and probably over 10 times by bicycle. The way I approach the exits is to look back at least twice to make sure there are no oncoming cars. If there are any cars within maybe 100 meters from me coming from the onramp, I slow down and let the car pass. For off ramps, I also glance at least twice at the cars coming off of the highway, noting which cars have a signal. And because most of these cars don't signal, especially when there's a long line of cars, I keep my eye on that lane, as I drift into the off ramp shoulder by about 50 meters or so, and if no cars appearing to be taking the ramp, I then cross the off ramp in like 2-3 seconds and go about my way.

as for cars drifting into the shoulder, I've never had that happen before. I think the highway is straight enough that cars would be able to see my tail light from a fair distance. in fact, a lot of cars actually switch into the farthest lane when they're passing me, even 18 wheelers, but they're not the ones I'm worried about

my personal philosophy is that as long as there's a shoulder, and it's a wide shoulder, I think I should feel safe. What I would worry about more is a desolate road, with barely any shoulder at all. I think that's a more dangerous situation, because drivers won't be paying as much attention, as when they're going 75 mph on the interstate.

Last edited by spectastic; 01-20-14 at 12:33 PM.