View Single Post
Old 01-20-14, 02:37 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid
Recently I decided to try following the Trans-Canada Trail for the first time. According to the map, I should be able to get on the trail near my house in Waterloo and follow it as far as Guelph -- this is where the trail stops and the proposed section has yet to be built. As it turns out, the Laurel Trail I use to get to work is actually one of the trans-canada sections.

But I never made it to Guelph, or even out of town. The trail was impossible to follow. Numerous times, the trail would drop off with no sign of where it picks up again. I kept on going to my phone so I could consult a map and see where to go to follow the trail. For the ride through town, much of the trail, as it was marked on the map, was just a city street.

I didn't find a real trail; just a lot of hype and a mirage. I grant that it isn't complete yet, but the section I was trying to follow was supposedly finished. Has anybody else tried following this trail? Since trail sections are done locally, I suppose that there would be better and worse parts of the trail made by different municipalities.
I don't think there is a way to do it entirely off road, but there is a trail from Waterloo to St. Jacobs. From there, you can go the back road to Elmira and take the Kissing Bridge Trail. I don't know for sure if the trail is complete into Guelph, but the old CPR line that it follows went from Guelph to Goderich. The literature says it goes from Guelph to Millbank, but I have not ridden the entire length so I don't know for sure that is true.