View Single Post
Old 01-20-14, 04:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by JTownCitycycle
I beleive I did repack it but I'm pretty sure the bearings were loose. I tried making a spacer, took a tin snips and cut out a washer like piece of metal, wasn't easy and it didn't work,it wasn't thick enough I guess. I wonder if removing one of the bearings would solve the problem?
Before we go at this to cross purposes, we need an accurate description of the hub and problem.

Is the dust cover (shield) pressed onto the cone like Brad's or into the shell? Everything turns on that (no pun).

If it's part of the axle or cone, then simply tapping it in deeper is the answer. If it's pressed into the shell, you have to check the why the freewheel body is pressing on it, and why it jams.

As I said earlier, you're the only one here who has it in your hands, so the quality of the answer anybody gives depends on the accuracy and completeness of the description.

As for removing a ball, that won't change anything, unless you put in one too many when you rebuilt.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.