Old 01-21-14, 12:11 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sbs z31
Yes a resistance unit on the 3" will be a better option which I'm considering right now. I do have a fluid trainer which I use once a week so my leg strentgh doesn't diminish(if it does).
If you have a fluid trainer, then you shouldn't try to get resistance on your rollers. They train different things separately, and that's OK.

Are you aware of why trackies prefer 4.5" rollers? 4.5" rollers are supposed to feel unloaded (no resistance). The goals when riding them have nothing to do with resistance or strength training. The goals focus on form, leg speed, and neuromuscular adaptations and as a small side effect, aerobic training.

While it is certainly possible to train for racing on one device that feels as close to real world racing as possible (get faster by replicating the event over and over), that's not how most training programs are devised. Most programs (for any sport) focus on disecting the components (legspeed, strength, power, endurance, power-endurance) and training them separately. Then bringing them all together on race day. A famous example:

Component Training:

Bringing it all together:

I wrote all of that to say that I don't think 3" would be the better option. I'd go for 4.5" and the fluid trainer.