View Single Post
Old 01-21-14, 12:33 PM
GFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Agreed. Most mtn. bikers end up riding road bikes if they want to build fitness and endurance.
Yes, I've read that comment before, and that's what I kept telling myself. That MTB bikers ride roads to gain fitness, not the other way around. I suppose there's a certain amount of cross-over between both disciplines.

I've considered a new bike for the extra gears, disc brakes, shifters and fork, but I can't see how a new bike would ride any easier then this older upgraded aluminum frame bike. I have a new fork, front disc, rear V-brake, shifters, cassette, chain, tires (26x2.35), bar, grips and stem, besides new cables. The bike fits me and the geometry is pretty timeless, and not that outdated, or so I'm told. I could ride some newer bikes just to see, but without any hills in town it would be hard to compare.

For now, I'm OK with the old bike and will need to keep working on conditioning. I admit to taking it easier this winter with fewer rides and less commuting. It's been colder and foggier then normal, making it easy to find an excuse not to ride. But wow, what a wake-up call!

Thanks for all the replies everyone, appreciate reading your recommendations and stories.