View Single Post
Old 01-22-14, 06:22 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
The bike is an 8 speed, maximum rear cog is 34T. Other wise I would have. I like your advice on going back to that hill and trying it over and over until I conquer it. I plan to do just that. That hill will be a reality check on my progress. When I got this bike in 1995, I actually rode up that hill in the 24x28 combo, which was the lowest gears on the bike. So now almost 19 years later at 57 years of age, I needed to stop in the 24x34. I don't really feel any different today, but obviously time and age does catch up to all of us at some point. Yesterday, I realized my conditioning wasn't good enough, and I felt really old, more so then I had in a long time.

Isn't power about leg strength? It wasn't my legs that gave out, it was the lungs. I just couldn't get enough air and my heart was racing. Next time I'll wear the heart monitor to check heart rate.

I plan to mix up the riding between road and dirt. Likely more road since I can ride from the house. But I'll need to get after those hills and regain some youth.
The important part in breathing is to EXHALE as hard as you can. Without doing so you can not get sufficient oxygen in to the blood for transfer to the muscles.