Old 01-22-14, 12:08 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
N + 1 = DONE ? plus the worst packing job ever seen!

Stick a fork in me. I am done. Complete. There is no other grail bike left in the wild I must have.

I’m certain. (Really!)

It arrived in the snow storm last night, and presented as the worst possible OTT stupid packing job ever, EVER, inflicted on a bike.

(OKAY. OP Edit: It is not the "worst", but it sure was utterly stupid. And the seller was given all sorts of photos and explanations of why it really would be better to let a bike shop do it. . .!)

Box without THIS SIDE UP or any indications of top or bottom. The shipping guy brought it from the back of the truck in an end-over-end, carried to my door, plopped it on one end and, when the door was open, just end-over-ended into the house.

Surprisingly, very little damage beyond a couple unnecessary new scratches from the loose wheels.

The seller spent nearly $400 for the “packing” (sic) and shipping. He felt the bike “too perfect” to submit to the indignity of, say, removing seat post, saddle or pedals. But then he left it at a UPS shop to be “packed by professionals!” More like the minimum wage kid in the back room. Let’s just say that the negotiations for this bike have taken months and months. The seller required, shall we say, delicate conversations.

Four lightweight cardboard boxes cut up and taped into one box. One thin, single wrap of lightweight bubble wrap. Insert bike with loose wheels. Fill to top with 1.5 million Styrofoam peanuts! ! ! OMG.

Not sure if RD cage isn’t a bit bent, but the bike is up on my stand now for deep cleaning, etc. The forks miraculously escaped damage. Cables took a hit, but they need replacing, anyway. With that snow on the ground, I’ll not be riding this for a few days.

Teaser photos. I actually forgot to take a full frame photo last night. But it will give an idea of why I'm a happy lad.

I really want to ride this – NOW! It hasn’t been ridden since the ‘80s and I’m a bit worried about both tires and saddle. No snow ride, at least for it's first test run. I can swap out wheels and saddle, but I probably have to wait for dry(er) roads.

Sated.

:-)
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)

Last edited by LeicaLad; 02-23-14 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Not really THE worst. Just really, really stupid.