View Single Post
Old 01-24-14, 10:04 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Brr. 9° Everything was fine except the left hand - same gloves but right hand warm, left hand stinging and unresponsive numb. Strange. I'm noticing now that my wrist also feels stingy. Did I forget to pull one layer up to the wrist? Wrist warmers, is that something in your bag of tricks?

I guess I should have put my handlebar shield back on. Those who do this consistently, you have my respect.
What kind of shifters do you have on your bike? I do much more shifting with my right hand, rear derailleur so it tends not to get as cold or numb. In contrast, my left hand is more static because I don't have to shift the front derailleur as much. I notice more of a difference when riding my bikes with STIs than the ones with bar-end shifters as well. With STIs, my hands tend to stay parked on the hoods most of the time. With bar-end shifters, I am moving my hands around more and they get less numb and cold.