Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 01-24-14, 02:24 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 2,219 Times in 573 Posts
I've had experience on a range of tubulars from the 3/$50 Yellow Jersey and Ralleys, up to Challenge P-R and Dugast tubulars. The expensive tubulars are indeed much nicer. You get what you pay for, but the ride on cheaper tubulars is certainly acceptable--if you get a good one. For me, though, the rub is the consistency of the cheaper ones. I've had Ralley and YJ tires that are straight and last for well over a thousand miles. But I've also had ones that are lumpy from the start, form bulges through the casing, or prone to flats after less than a few hundred miles. The last time I purchased a 3/$50 YJ set: one was so lumpy I was instantly relegated to spare duty, another formed a bulge in the casing under the rubber after less than 200 miles (this, of course, inevitably leads to a premature puncture). IMHO, unless you are a 1%-er, you should be prepared to repair an high-end tubular if you get a flat before the tread has worn out. Some flats are bound to happen no matter what tires you run, but there's less of a return on repairing a YJ tire.