Old 01-25-14, 05:56 PM
NatUp

Bikes: 1989 Simoncini, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, No-name aluminum 29er hardtail, Univega Winter Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Potential fix for Campy/Shimano cable incompatibility??

The classic story: bought a cable set that said "Campagnolo compatible," but when it came the heads of the brake cables are definitely too large for the stops in the brifter lever body -- looks like they were made for Shimano. Of course we all know about filing down the cable head diameter, but I was looking at it and thought "Why don't I just rotate the cable stop cylinder in the lever so the cable enters it backwards and the large part of the head rests completely outside the cylinder stop?"

Not sure if that makes sense, but I tried it and the cable head appears to sit nicely on the stop and not interfere with the motion of the lever. So: why isn't this a popular simple solution to the cable compatibility problem? Is it dangerous in any way? I don't see how it could be, since the cable head could never pass through the stop, and since it's backwards, there's no way the head can get jammed in there, which is the reason using Shimano cables in a Campy brake lever is a no-no in the first place.

(p.s. thankfully the shifter cables that came in the set do fit in the shifters!)