View Single Post
Old 01-26-14, 09:01 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Cat-Eye used to sell the "Astrale" a wired computer with a rear wheel pickup for speed/distance and a cadence pickup so it would work fine on a trainer. The pickups were fastened to the nds chainstay and the magnets mounted on a rear wheel spoke and non-drive side crank arm. I have had one on my trainer bike for several years. The Astrale is discontinued but Cat-Eye still shows the "Strada Cadence" on their web site that seems to be a newer version of the same thing.

I wonder if wireless computer heads will pick up the signal from a rear mounted magnet and pickup. Any body tried it?

Yes, I've noted the rear wheel pickup gives a slightly shorter distance reading than a front pickup but the deviation is about 0.5% by my measurements, certainly not 3%.
I did try it once with the cheapie type computers I described above, and it was a flop. Could not get the signal from the rear chain stay to the handlebars. Bummer.