Old 01-27-14, 09:45 AM
hkingman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Wow, blast-from-the-past thread.
I believe that! I did end up riding the Wmcca-Glch-Reno route shortly after this thread`s first appearance. It was one of my first multi day rides, and I`ve since learned that dirt roads are often more bike tire friendly than "major" gravel routes.

Out of curiosity, are you the eternal Warm Showers rep from Winnemucca? If so, any chance that your father or other relation with same last name was the fith grade teacher at the local elementary school in the mid 70s?
C'est moi. That's quite a route choice for a beginning bike tourist. With nearly 2,000 posts, I guess you weren't forever put off bike touring by the choice!

I've never taken the route through Flanagan, but have done the more northern route over Robber's Roost and to Susanville and on to Chico three times. I'm pretty sure it's the easiest route from Winnemucca to California. Although if you don't mind climbing, the route route through Carson, Ebbets Pass, California Grade to Jackson is nice as well. At either Chico or Jackson, you're within the California Amtrak network, so can basically get anywhere with your bike for next to no money.