View Single Post
Old 01-29-14, 07:25 AM
racoonbeast

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Enforcement 2 29er - 2003 Cannondale Adventure 400S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Manny. I think that I might have. You folks have been so helpful, I will pass my "source" on to you. It is an on-line auction site that is not extremely well known. They started out as an auction site for just police departments, and other civil agencies that are required to sell unwanted or unclaimed property at auction. They have grown to include other stuff, but that function is still their backbone. Check it out. Go to propertyroom.com. They say that they have a million signed up members. But, the bidding pressure is nothing like Ebay. You can sign up for free. If you want to bid, you have to register a credit card and give them permission to use it when you win. You should do this at least a couple of days before the auction that you are interested in closes because it takes them that long to verify your card. At least that was my experience. But, man, do they have bikes! It does not look like it from the home page, but just run a search on "bicycle". They sell batches. I have seen batches of three or four to over a hundred go on there for peanuts. The problem with the batches is that, of course, they will not ship them. You have to be near one of their three or four regional warehouses and pick them up. Thus, they do not get much bidding pressure at all. If someone was in the "biz", it might be worth their while to take a road trip to score a hundred bikes for under a hundred bucks. But they will ship single bikes for fifty bucks. Be sure and check out their shipping options before bidding, because sometimes for some special reason they won't ship a single bike. To name a few, I have seen a bunch of Specialized Rock Hoppers go for very little. There has been a run of Cannondale Bad Boys go through in the short time since I discovered them. They have the "lefty" front fork, so I know that they are big bucks bikes. There are one or two on there right now. They seem to go for plus or minus seven hundred to seven hundred and fifty bucks pretty predictably. I don't know what that bike goes for, usually, but that seems reasonable for anything with that fork. Once you win, they ship within a day or two, and it arrives by Fed Ex disassembled, but in "bomb proof" packaging. My package weighed a hundred and ten pounds to give you some idea of how "beefy" it was packaged. I don't know how they can ship for that for fifty bucks, but they do. from end of auction to sitting in my kitchen was under a week. Once it got here, I remained a member but removed my card. I don't like my card number in anyone else's possession if it doesn't need to be.

One cool aspect of this site is that the money that you spend goes back into the American community that it came from, so you are actually performing a civil service.

I hope that this info helps some of you score the bike of your dreams for a price that you might never dream of. I am pretty sure that there are more than a few bike "flippers" using the site. My competition was a guy who was going through and seriously low-balling everything that was worth anything. He lost mine by three bucks, but he was winning others.

Thanks for all the help.