Old 01-29-14, 10:13 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackmen
I recently had a herniated disk (L5) in my back which required surgery (Micro discectomy). They went in through a small incision in my back and pulled some disc material out that was causing trouble with my sciatic nerve down my left leg.

Have been active and am 54 and did about 3000 miles on my road bike last year. Checking to see what others experience has been after having this surgery. Please let me know your experience with 1) how quick you got back riding, 2) how is your back after the surgery, 3) Do you feel like it was a good thing to do long term.

Please feel free to share your experience and help the rest of us that have recently went through with this procedure.
Good morning Jackmen,
I had been back to cycling when my stenosis first showed up as bad lower right leg pain which disallowed exercise walking (actually any walk over 8 or 9 minutes started the pain!) and certainly running. I had purchased an entry level road bike and loved the whole aspect of cycling, other than the crappy bike!
My first epidural shot worked for about 6 months. Then the pain started again, and after 2 or 3 more months I had a second shot - worked for about 3 months. Next shot about 1 month. The fourth shot did absolutely nothing and that's when I knew that I needed surgery. By the way, this was over a period of 2 years, beginning in April of 2007, with first shot in September of that year. After the 4th, no effect, shot, even cycling caused leg pain, and by that time walking for even 5 minutes was awful.
I finally had a laminectomy and fusion at L4/5 in March of 2010, when I was a month from turning 64. For 2 years or so, I did lots of walking -pain free - and working out with light weights. I was feeling great, and then the cycling bug hit me again.

So, I'm back in to cycling for almost 2 years now, and feeling better than ever. In fact, for the 2 years post-surgery I would sometimes feel lower leg (both legs) pain at night, but turning on to my back caused almost instant relief, as did shifting on to my stomach. I also noticed left and right side lower back discomfort, and that's when I realized (and the doctor explained) it was the SI joints (sacroiliac). This made sense as with a fusion, the levels above and below the fused level are under somewhat more stress.

Interestingly enough, from my first "back-to-cycling" ride almost 2 years ago, I ceased to experience any SI related leg pains - incredible! At this juncture I normally ride 4 times per week, 12-15 miles per ride.

So, while I sincerely apologize for this long winded post, I did want to share my positive experience.

Best regards