View Single Post
Old 01-30-14, 02:03 PM
GodsBassist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Tell us about the public transportation options in your area. What do you like about it? What could be improved?

[HR][/HR]
I have 2 public transportation choices for getting to work.

1) The bus

The bus runs about every 10-12 minutes, and takes about 10-12 minutes to get me close to work. I have to walk approx. 600 metres all up ... I don't get door to door service. But the walk isn't bad.

I have a card I use to pay for the bus which gives me a discounted rate. I can also get on and off whenever I want, and there is a daily cap to the amount I pay so that I don't keep paying every time I get back on again after a certain point. However, the area is divided into zones, and the further out, the more you pay. If we were to move out of the central zones, I could end up paying more for the bus.

2) The water taxi

It would probably drop me off closer to work, but I'd have to walk about 2 km to get it ... and it is quite a bit more expensive. So I've never tried it, although it is tempting just for the novelty.

[HR][/HR]
I like the frequency of the bus, and so far, the passengers are nice too. They're about my age and are business people who work in the part of the city where I work. I'm starting to make friends with a couple of the ladies.

However, I wish the service further out could be improved. It's great where we are now, but not as good in the general area where we'd like to live.

And I like trains ... if they could run trains up from a couple spots south of the city into the middle of the city, that would be great!!
You should definitely try the water taxi, just to say you did!

I live across the street from a train station. The train station serves Baltimore (15 min ride) and DC (25 min ride.) The train station makes a natural point for other public transportation stuffs. There's a bus that goes to a nearby shopping center on the other side of a small suburbia (weekdays only.) Another goes to the shopping mall, but it's a pretty circuitous route, and they're looking into changing it next month I think.

My favorite part is that there's a free shuttle that goes from the station to work and then back again… all day that's just what it does, and it's awesome and the reason I moved into the apartment complex I'm in. I ride it when there's snow on the roads or I just don't feel like riding.

Not sure if this qualifies, but Zipcar is two train stations away. If I absolutely need a car, then it's a 15 minute train ride to the closest Zipcar station.