Thread: Transitions
View Single Post
Old 01-31-14, 05:53 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Transitions

I have a big one coming up. In ten days I shall be starting a new job, escaping from one that just didn't work for me. Truth be told, I'll be leaving a position that was stressful and 50 miles from home. The only good thing about it (besides the paycheck) was the car-train-bike commute three days a week when the sun was staying up long enough. Those of you who read the 50+ already know that I recently turned 65, and great positions for (ahem) senior, a.k.a. C&V, engineers don't come around too often. I had been yearning for retirement, but if all goes well I just may enjoy working again.

The new position will be only 12 miles from home by direct roads. It will be mostly, and perhaps all, bikeable, much of it on bike paths. Or I may choose to take a commuter train for 2 stops and avoid the parts that google-maps street view shows as problematic. I should be able to skip using a car completely on most days.

To that end I may (under coercion from my sweetie) be putting fenders on the old faithful UO8, a pair of white Bleumels I've owned for decades and which I've gone through a love/hate relationship with.

Soon the weather will be breaking and we'll all be out riding again. What with my job stress and the weather my sweetie and I have done no x-c skiing this year, when normally we'd finish a season with as many as 500km logged. So the warmer weather and the exercise will be welcome! And the change in stress level will be a real blessing. A new Moto to check out, another to restore. Lots of miles to run on the tandem. And a car-free bike commute. Things are looking up.

Last edited by jimmuller; 01-31-14 at 07:00 PM. Reason: I are a injuneer, I cant count