Old 01-31-14, 07:57 PM
merry2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Most thieves won't recognize a Moulton for what it is, and would probably pass on a well-locked "cheezy folder" for the BSO "mtn bike" sitting next to it with a flimsy cable lock.

That said, I'd lock a Moulton with top-line locks, either U- or one of the hardened chain styles, and never an all-day affair, only for running in and out... and for which errand duties I'd probably pick a different bike than a Moulton, anyway.
i think a professional or hobbyist bike thief knows what he's looking at.

the bike is unique enough to attract attention/someone's eye. a lot of times unique-looking bikes have higher pricetags - it's clearly a specialty item.

i gotta also believe that if the thief has a smartphone, he'll just google moulton and get some prices. no problem. don't insult a thief's intelligence. lol.

but imo, a person either shouldn't buy a bike they'd be gutted over if it stolen or they shouldn't park it anywhere lots of experienced thieves hang out - big cities and the like. i would only a bike i wouldn't get nuts about if it were stolen. so, my upper limit is around $1500. i think people have to decide what level of risk they can/will taken when buying super expensive bikes like moultons.

any experience bike thief can and will steal a bike if he's got the tools, opportunity and desire to do so.