treal512

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SnowJob
Wow, Jana is famous!

Alls I know is that if those pictures were of me I'd have snot all over my face.
Haha! Got a hoot outta that one.

Originally Posted by Buglady
I bike commute in winter because I've got to do *something* halfway impressive and/or bad-ass to salve my ego and keep myself going when the demons pipe up about failure. Hey, demons, I rode my bike in a freaking snowstorm today, go away, I'm tougher than you! Seems to work so far.
Ain't that the truth? The ego can be an annoying little bugger.

Originally Posted by tjspiel
Why I ride in the winter: The real truth.

Back in 2004 or so I was a periodic bike commuter but mostly took the bus. That year the new light rail line opened and all the bus routes were going to change. Though I was all for the introduction of light rail service, the downside for me is that there would no longer be a bus that took me directly downtown, it would take me to the train station instead.

So rather than wait for a bus, ride that to a station, and then wait for a train I decided just to ride my bike to the train station. This worked well and I enjoyed it. As the cold weather came that Fall I knew I'd have to figure out the new bus schedule but I kept putting it off.

Well, it's been almost 10 years and I still don't know which bus will take me to the station. In that time I figured out I could ride the entire distance by bike pretty easily and get there faster (at least for 3/4 of the year) than if I take the train.

So the reason I commute in the winter comes down to the fact that I was too lazy to look up a bus schedule.
LOL!

Originally Posted by CXT
Riding in the winter if my favorite time to commute. It sucks because the commute is longer due to the studded tires and extra weight of all the cold weather gear, but its ridiculously peaceful riding in the winter. The trails are completely empty. No runners. No walkers. No dogs. No people with headphones on that can't hear you screaming "On Your Left." With everything covered in snow, it's like biking through a post card scene after the zombie apocalypse.
Good stuff.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
+1; me too. I previously posted to this thread, “Does Commuting Make You “Happy”?
I found your post. Too funny! I love getting all layered up with everything perfectly cinched in and heading out the door with a bicycle. As soon as you mount your saddle and start pedaling, it's like ahhhhh. Worth it.

Originally Posted by Lex Fati
1) It is faster than walking.
2) I don't have to drive if I ride my bike.
3) It makes me feel less compliant, and in turn, less complacent.
I like your #3. You damn right!

I'm currently in the process of applying to dietetic internships and Minneapolis is on my list. I would prefer acceptance into the Colorado internship, but I'm sure I'd be in for a winter treat if I wound up in Minnesota

Last edited by treal512; 02-02-14 at 12:44 AM.