Old 02-04-14, 11:01 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Thanks for this, Quinn. Yeah I am doing 225x5x5 right now, and I'm going to progress to higher reps, 6x5, 7x5, and when I get to 8x5 I'll reevaluate. I'm progressing linearly with single leg press and deadlift, and with many misses and re-sets on the press too. It's just the back squat that has given me so many little injuries over the past couple of seasons that I feel I need to take extra care with. So yeah the volume is going up on that lift, and when the volume gets silly, it's time to maybe add a couple of pounds. But slooooooooowly.
Here is some advice you didn't ask me for:

That looks a little unfocused and probably way more work than you need to accomplish your goals of really widening your foundation for injury prevention and building strength in a safe way. Once you get past 6 reps you are getting into hypertrophy work- and I don't think that's on track with your needs...

One question: around what weight does your squat start to fall apart?

This is what I would recommend:
Go to the store and by 4 rolls of tape- probably 4 rolls of blue painters tape, Peel off enough tape so that the rolls weigh in at 14oz each.. Now you have a set of fractional plates that will allow you to progress in manageable increments. (1.75lbs)

Now- back your weight off 10lbs (reset) and begin 5x5 with a linear progression- adding
1.75lbs a day 3x a week- so you will be progressing 5lbs a week in very small increments..

That's a ton of volume!!!!

When you approach a stall- I would then drop it to a normal 3x5 Starting Strength Beginner Program- keeping the same progression.

When you approach a stall on 3x5- switch to Texas Method- calculating your 1x5"intensity day" at you current 3x5- this will allow a nice run of Texas Method before the 1x5 gets tough for you... That drop in volume will probably time out nicely with your ramp up in intensity for the race season this year..

I'd drop the leg press.. squats are all you need..