View Single Post
Old 02-04-14, 08:36 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by 5matt
I've ridden for many years but haven't had a job I could ride to until now.
It could be just me, but I'd say that that is still the case. IOW you still do not really have a job you can ride to.

commute will be about 27 miles each way, initially I may ride in one day, take bus home then ride home the next day. I have shower facilities at my office, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with my wet (sweat) cycling clothing so I can ride home the same day. .
Well... aside from the fact that a 54mi. round-trip with a standard working day sandwiched in-between is hardly practical, I would invest in cycling clothes that are absorbent and breathe and maintain your comfort even when wet. Since the first of the year I deal with commute sweat by wearing a merino wool baselayer. My problem with the sweat wasn't odor, it was the very uncomfortable condition of the cold, wet, clothes next to my skin. I shower at home and even though there are shower facilities at work I don't use or need them. I submit that after a 27 mile one way you shouldn't have time to do a post ride shower and change of clothes. My present assignment doesn't require a button down shirt, I just wear a turtleneck layer over the baselayer under my softshell outerlayer. I dry out as the day progresses and everything is dry by days end for the ride home (7 to 10 mi. each way depending on route).

I won't ride every day so I can leave some work clothes at the office, but I have no bags on my bike.
Maybe get some bags for your bike? You've asked your question on a commuting forum. Maybe if you ask on the road racers forum you will get answers more aligned with someone who wants to get some miles in during the week and use the miles to the office to do so. I, and others here use our bikes the way you would use your car, or the bus. Daily. Or very nearly so. I save $5.00 every day by riding and my investment in two commute bikes and their peripherals are fully paid for by the savings on mass transit. If the buses in your city have bike racks you could ride half-way to work and finish on the bus. Do the same thing going home. Maybe do the whole thing by bike going home a couple times.