Old 02-05-14, 10:45 AM
FatBottomedGirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Edge 500 - speed sensor: how does it work?

Hi,

I was using for the past year the Garmin Edge 200.
My purpose was only to have a simple bike computer I could use on several bikes with no hassle.
It was working like a charm.

I just upgraded to the 500 for the cardiometer and cadencemeter (and the altimeter and the possibility to completely customize the interface,...).

I mounted the speed and cadence sensor on my race bike and kept my commuting bike extra-tool-free.

So far the 500 is working exactly as expected on the commuting bike, which means exactly like the 200 (except for the extra features...) meaning that I do have my speed purely GPS-based which is fine for this use.

My wondering is : how is this going to work on the racing bike with the sensor?
I have no worries for the cadence sensor which uses the sensor as only source...

But how is the speed sensor working? does it completely override the GPS data? does it combine its data with the GPS ones for better accuracy? can I start a workout before the satellites are aquired? can I ride fully indoor with no satellites at all?

And how does it work if I ride (outdoors, with satellites locked) and I lose the sensor (actually losing the sensor is not really possible, but the very possible situation is to have a puncture and just have the wheel replaced so I finish the ride on a magnet-less wheel)... Will I then have a smooth record of the ride (shall the pure GPS-based speed take over)?

I must say I do not fully understand how this speed sensor works - I mean how it interacts with the purely GPS-based speed aquiring?

Also, I found no menu to configure the wheel size which is a very typical setting on bike computers using spoke-magnet-sensors, so is the GPS used to balance and auto-fine-tune this?

Sorry if this is stupid, but I am new with this device which is both awesome and way more complicated than my old 200

Thanks!