View Single Post
Old 02-06-14, 11:34 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Any idea what they propose to do with that road in question? I hope it's not travel lane, then car parking, then bike lane between the cars and the curb. Can't stand that design. If they could eliminate on-street parking, they could do 2 travel lanes plus a bike lane, with a striped buffer in between. That would be nice. If street parking is a must, it would be better to have a travel lane, bike lane, striped buffer, than car parking, to keep those on bikes out of the door zone, and keep cyclists as visible as possible to the cars.
I doubt that street parking can be, or even should be, eliminated. It is my understating, (I could be wrong) that single car lane/bike lane/parking is the main alternative under study. I think a better plan would be to make Pacific street one way north bound, and Myers street one way southbound between Mission and Oceanside Blvd. This would leave Coast Highway (Hill St, as many of us locals still call it) as it is. Unfortunately these meetings are never held when I am able to go to them.

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I think in areas where you see large numbers of people on bikes, like NYC, Portland, London, etc., most of those people are commuters. There are recreational cyclists everywhere, including those cities I listed. But when you see large amounts of cyclists I think they're usually commuters, or at least bike "errand-runners".

At least that's how it appears to me in the many, many videos I've seen from those different cities.
This is the impression I get too. The telling thing is to look at those riding Monday through Friday as opposed to those riding on weekends. Old US 101, which that street is part of, from Oceanside thirty miles all the way to San Diego is thick with bikes on the weekend. During the week, the overall population of bikes goes down, and the ratio of hybrids to roadies goes way up.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 02-06-14 at 11:41 AM.