Old 02-06-14, 03:07 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
So you haven't been given the ultimatum "You can either listen to me or get a ticket"? How about "reading from the rule book" and changing words to fit their opinion of where cyclists should ride ("as close as practicable to the right-hand edge of the shoulder")? Or refusing to acknowledge simple things like a cyclist is a driver of a vehicle or that 9 feet isn't a shareable lane? It's these types of conversations that have lead to me receiving tickets.
snip
It's no wonder that dialogue with cops leads to tickets. Look at Joejack951 when he claimed, to the cop, that "a cyclist is a driver of a vehicle". Whether your state defines bicycles as vehicles or has a statute that supposedly gives cyclists the rights and duties of drivers of vehicles, as long as you are in a state with the FTR law, or that allows locals to enact FTR ordinances, you are prohibited from exercising the rights of drivers of vehicles. "Yah, sure; they call you the driver of a vehicle, but if you act like a driver I'm going to write you up for violating the law, and that one will stick!"

We have to work to get repeal of the FTR and bikeway traffic laws, in order to regain the right to operate as drivers of vehicles. That right should have never been taken away from us to suit motorist convenience, and should not be advocated today to suit the anti-motoring enthusiasts.