View Single Post
Old 02-06-14, 06:25 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
After hearing that the Farmer's Almanac was predicting a cold and very snowy winter, then experiencing exactly what Farmer's Almanac predicted, I'd bet my money on check the Farmer's Almanac

Then again, I just looked it up. For my area, "Winter will be milder than normal..." Ha! Never in my life have I seen -32° (temperature, NOT wind chill.) That certainly isn't anywhere close to normal. Of course, that is just the oddball days that it's been extremely cold. Most of the winter so far until mid January has been pretty mild.

Prior to this winter, our winters have been very unusually warm with hardly any snow. While the south that never gets snow got snow, here in northwestern PA, we had very very little. Normal is several snowstorms of 10 to up to 18 inches of snow at least a few times each winter.

The summers though other than last summer has been extremely hot. 2010 saw record breaking high temperatures early in the year. That was the year we went to Disneyworld and had record breaking temps down there in early June (miserable with the coldest day at 103!) A coworker went to Myrtle Beach and said never again. Temps well into the 100's there too early.

2011 I was installing a new pool in the back yard in 95° heat on Labor Day weekend. Normal temps should have been in the 70's.

2013 on the other hand in the summer, hardly ever used the pool. Normal August weather is mid 90's and extremely humid. Last we used the pool was 4th of July week. After that, we hardly had a day out of the 70's. Humid as always for sure and still miserable any time you did any work outside and moved around, but cool.

I'm going to say another hot spring with temps evening out and falling below normal as the summer wears on.