View Single Post
Old 02-09-14, 09:46 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Well that might be. For me living with heart problems and frequent PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) and a IC, tracking my HR is important to me. I find that in my situation the normal electrical type chest straps just don't work. This one works optically. So for me it does something that no other helmet or strap can do….. save me from getting near my LCD's set shock threshold..
Sorry if I seem tedious here, but are you saying the Smart HR sensor produces a HR measurement that's different and more accurate than a conventional HR strap sensor, and if so, are most Ant+ devices (e.g. Garmin 500) able to present that data? Or are you saying you that conventional HR straps don't work for you because, perhaps, you can't make them fit, feel comfortable, or there's some physical limitation that impedes their use?

Again, I don't mean to be obtuse here, but I was just not aware that there may be monitoring/transmission/accuracy problems with conventional HR straps, so if the Smart optical sensor provides better data, that may be good to know.

Oh, and I should add that I'm not slamming the Smart helmet, and I recognized immediately that it may provide convenience for some users in that it eliminates the need to futz with another piece of equipment, but if it provides better HR monitoring for those with particular demands like the PVC you mention, then I'd like to be aware of that so I might let others know there's a solution for them. It's true that for me, I don't think the helmet provides anything useful, as I neither find using an HR strap annoying nor do I use just one helmet, so those things kinda kill it's appeal for me.

EDIT: okay, I think I figured it out; is the LCD you mentioned a wearable defibrillator? That would explain things!

Last edited by chaadster; 02-09-14 at 10:00 AM.