Old 02-09-14, 11:52 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed in Toronto
I don’t want standard parts. I want smaller parts where possible. I want it to fold up as small as possible. That’s why I got a folding bike.

Standard parts are designed with no thought to folding up a bike, or space saving. That’s why you end up with the rear derailleur dragging on the ground. And a fold that is many inches wider in all directions.

I want brilliant award winning design. I want the parts to be custom designed and integrated into the system, instead of hanging full sized touring bike parts on it.
This is what makes Bromtpon so attractive.

You don't worry about parts because they are all available online or phone. Furthermore, since the frame stays the same each year, you can rest assured there will be parts for your bike years down the road. I have two Dahon bikes and even though they are not bad, there is no way I can soure parts for the hinges.

However, if the folding bike is made by a company that comes out with a new model each year and doesn't stock parts, then it makes sense to use standard parts. A standard rear derailleur isn't too bad on a 20 inch wheel but it looks way too big on the MIT's 16 inch wheels.