View Single Post
Old 02-11-14, 03:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
It would be a big adventure, and a lot could go wrong at any point in a pretty long trip. It's going to add unknown amount of time to the trip, even if nothing goes wrong. Take the trip knowing this, and prepare for various kinds of eventualities. You might get a flat or other breakdown, and it could be so cold as to challenge your hands' dexterity. You could wipe out. Your bike could become disabled, and you'd have to get a ride to work or back home. You might be stranded in the cold with nothing to eat. If you are stranded, you'll need extra clothing to stay warm.

I rode in the snow on the road on Sunday for the fun of it. It was cold and snowing. My original goal was to ride 8 miles. I got a late start, and my wife started driving from my destination towards me, going home. When she and I met on the road, I turned around and rode home. I turned around about 3-1/4 miles out before turning back. The sun was setting, and going farther would have involved a lot more risk, and the snow was starting to stick on the road. I had fun, but I didn't want to be crazy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.