Thread: Equal rights?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-14, 09:37 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not so much a matter of taking the option to ride FRAP away, but rather removing the requirement for cyclists to ride FRAP. If the FRAP laws are repealed it doesn't make riding FRAP illegal or prevent you or anyone else from doing so (heck when there is a nice wide shoulder edge on the side of a high speed road with cars wizzing around at 60+ mph I personally strongly prefer to shoulder edge ride and I find it a huge hinderance to safe, effective, and efficient cycling that a lot of high speed long distance travel roads don't have nice wide good pavement shoulder edges.)

My personal preference leans not towards total repeal of FRAP laws for cyclist but rather an even better option of re-writing them the other way around flipping them on their heads.

Currently the vast majority of FRAP laws at least in the U.S. are written like this:

----- Bicyclists on the public roadways shall ride FRAP and get the (insert explicit(s) of your choice) out of the way !!!
----- Oh, and by the way here are a few mostly ignored exceptions where they don't have to ride FRAP so we don't get are rears sued off when one of them gets hurt as a result of riding FRAP.

That's totally backwards
thinking and a backwards way of writing a law which the whole purpose of laws for rules of the road is to protect innocent people from getting hurt and try to encourage an atmosphere of mutual respect among public right of way users. Instead FRAP laws should be re-written along these lines:

----- Cyclists are lawful users of the public rights of way and have full right to use the roads as any other vehicle and may make use of a full traffic lane width to ensure their own safety and transportation and are responsible to follow the rules of the road as any other vehicle and are due all the same respect in return from other road users operating other vehicles.
----- Since cyclists are a lower speed vehicle then many other vehicles on the road. When a cyclists can continue to travel in a safe, sane, effective, and efficient manner while also staying further to the right to allow (legally) faster moving vehicles to pass more easily without compromising their own safety are ability to effectively and efficiently travel they shall do so without fail out of basic courtesy and respect for other road users.

If flip the FRAP laws on their head like that and start out from the position that cyclists are people with equal rights and due equal respect. Then you can tell them not to make an (insert explicit(s) of your choice) out of themselves without creating an oppressive prejudiced ghetto like second class citizen situation.

Last edited by turbo1889; 02-12-14 at 09:42 PM.