Thread: Equal rights?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-14, 02:44 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
You still seem to be taking on blind faith that bike lanes are safer. That is not true at intersections and when they are installed in door zones. By you statement, you too should be opposed to bike lanes because of the added danger.
I never assume anything will make me safer, so my only frame of reference is personal experience, which has been all positive in regard to bike lanes. I can't say I've ever experienced any challenges that were caused by using one, or that wouldn't be encountered using a shoulder or lane.
On the positive side, they provide a clear lane through congested urban traffic, and folks seem to be more aware, and actually look for bikes, the lanes and signage being a reminder.

Maybe things have change some in the 8 years I've been away from cycling, but I'm skeptical things have changed so much for the worse that the disadvantages now outweigh the advantages.

I'm a little grumpy right now because I just finished lacing the rear wheel for my new bike, but can't true and tune it because all my fathers bike tools seem to have disappeared from my brothers shop, so I will have to pay the LBS to do it.