Old 02-16-14, 12:00 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, but he has voted to support bike paths. His thinking isn't that bicycles are all that dangerous, but they don't belong on the roads.

You see this train of thought if you put both sentences together and add an implied "on the roads" to the statement that nobody should ride a bicycle or motorcycle. He's saying that driver expectations are that the only thing they'll encounter are other cars or trucks, so can't be counted to see and avoid bicycles.
You are willing to give him far more benefit of the doubt than I am; I thought "no one...should ever" was pretty unambiguous. Especially as he makes no effort whatsoever to say that the safer alternative would be bike paths, which must exist somewhere in the area (?) or which he could claim he is working on. (What politician ever missed an opportunity to say 'Look what I'm doing!' ?)

For that matter, what evidence is there that he even supports separate bike paths? That 'Safe Streets Initiative' suggests many things, but not separate paths as far as I can tell. https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/comp...folkcounty.pdf

You are local there, at any rate much closer to local than I am, so you may well know more specific information about this guy, his voting record and previous stances.

- Dr Samuel Johnson