Old 02-16-14, 10:22 PM
hamster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I had a tough but reasonably good Camino Real Double. Full report is over is 50+ (since I'm an old guy) and here's the link:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...le-5-in-action

Good seeing hamster at the lunch stop too!

Rick / OCRR
BTW, the cutting sandwiches thing was Frank's idea. Most people only eat half of a sandwich. We had one for every rider, and by the end of lunch there were still tons left. I shamelessly took a plastic bag with 8 sandwiches home and there was a lot more left in the boxes. By my calculations, there are about 350 calories in a whole sandwich.

It was a pretty busy checkpoint, I think we were one volunteer short, they don't get enough volunteers. I didn't even have much time to chat with others at the stop. Fast course, relatively early into the ride, so the participants were still bunched up, and the van with supplies got delayed and only got to us after the first riders. When I wasn't cutting sandwiches or bananas, I was restocking supplies, answering questions, and I even helped to fix one flat tire.

P.S. Back on the subject of triple crown. I've decided to sit out Solvang, it does not fit into my plans and there is a local ride on the same day that I did the previous 2 years, I'll do that instead. Still planning for Mulholland. Would like to do Eastern Sierra, but it is May 31, and I absolutely have to be in San Diego at 6 AM on June 1. Last year I only got back to the hotel in Bishop at around 10 PM, I was up close to 18 hours continuously (ride time 16:40) and I had absolutely no strength to drive anywhere. If I manage to radically slim down (and I mean radically), and I play my cards right and if it looks like I have a shot at completing Eastern Sierra under 13 hours, then I'll sign up. Right now I am about 8 lbs below my last year's ESD weight. With a little more perseverance I should be able to do another 8-10 before or while ramping up mileage for Mulholland.

Last edited by hamster; 02-17-14 at 12:07 AM.