View Single Post
Old 02-17-14, 02:13 PM
COLROADIE

Bikes: Trek 5200 / Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also been wondering this and curious if anyone has any insight to my questions. I have spent the past 6 months searching for a frame building course. I was fairly close to committing to one when the instructor told me I will have to use a lugged bottom bracket for my brazed road frame. He explained that taking on a bottom bracket is very extensive for a 2 week course and it's too much for a first time builder. To me, this is a pretty integral part of frame building and shouldn't be skipped over. That being said, I do have 9 years of machining aircraft parts and am a certified welder (TIG) in 7 different types of metal. I also have a very good working knowledge of brazing and soldering. Can anyone shed some light on this and explain if the bottom bracket is truly so difficult that I couldn't be taught in a 2 week course, or if my experience will lend itself to self instruction afterwards?

Also, aside from what I have read in the Paterek book I do not know how to size an individual for a frame or really even know how to begin building. I am not opposed to purchasing materials and teaching myself but am more wondering if it is worth the money to attend a school to learn these things or if they can be self taught as well.

Any help will be great.

Thanks!